LANGUAGE & CULTURE ASSISTANTS TO SPAIN
Program overview and application guidelines 2018-19 school year
1.- The Language and Culture Assistants Program
Language and Culture Assistants is an international education program sponsored by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport of Spain, managed in Bulgaria by the Embassy of Spain’s Education Office.
The program has been in place for over ten years and has hosted thousands of graduates from English-speaking countries mainly. Last year the program started recruiting candidates from non-English speaking ones. Now it is being launched in Bulgaria for the first time, as a pilot program.
It is aimed at young Bulgarian graduates or senior year University students with a high command of English language and culture. The language assistants are assigned to elementary and secondary public schools that teach bilingual programs. Their main duties are helping and supporting classroom teachers reinforce the students’ oral skills in English.
The assistants are appointed typically in October for a full academic year through the end of May. Prior to the beginning of the school year an orientation course may be held, in Spain, to help the new assistants become acquainted with the Spanish education system and other transition issues.
The Assistants get a € 700 monthly stipend for a typical 12-16 teaching period weekly schedule. Medical insurance is provided on the basis of the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).
No travel/accommodation expenses are provided.
The selection process is run locally, in Sofia.
We are taking applications NOW through APRIL 6, 2018
1.1. How to apply and a quick note about PROFEX
The application process is entirely online through the PROFEX platform at: https://sede.educacion.gob.es/profex/
Profex is the online registration system for the Ministry of Education of Spain’s foreign programs. The application process is free. No fees are charged.
Sign up in PROFEX, create an account and complete your Curriculum section. Then follow the steps outlined in section 1.4 below. Read the PROFEX manual before you start.
PROFEX speaks Spanish only. A set of step by step instructions in English (PROFEX manual) is available on our website.
1.2. Eligibility criteria and selection process: Who may participate?
To be considered as a candidate, you must:
• Hold Bulgarian nationality.
• Have an English “C” CEFR diploma by an accredited institution.
• Be a University Graduate or senior college student in a field related to linguistics/pedagogy/foreign languages.
• Have a strong motivation to work as a teacher assistant with young students.
Only candidates who meet these aforementioned requirements and have online applications in good standing will be called for a personal interview to assess their language competence.
If your application succeeds and you are appointed, then you will need to submit:
• A letter signed by your doctor stating that you are in good shape (physical and psychological). Read section 1.5.2 below.
• A clear police record.
YOU CAN FURTHER SUPPORT YOUR APPLICATION IF:
• You have some knowledge of Spanish. (You are strongly advised to have at least some basic communication skills.)
• Have teaching experience or studies in Pedagogy.
• Have participated in Study Abroad programs.
• Have an open mind and an intercultural profile.
1.3. Important information to submit your application
Please check all these documents before submitting your application:
1. Application guidelines (this document).
2. PROFEX Manual or how to register online your application. (On our website)
3. Checklist. (On our website)
4. PDF application form that PROFEX will generate automatically when you submit all your documents.
1.4. The application process, explained.
If you meet the basic requirements to participate, you need to follow the steps below to complete your application successfully:
• Step 1: Sign up and create an account in PROFEX. Use your ID number/passport number as username.
• Step 2: Complete your curriculum vitae and upload the necessary documents where required. Missing documents cause delays or disqualification.
• Step 3: Fill out the application on PROFEX for the Language Assistants Program.
• Step 4: Choose your destination Autonomous Region(s) in Spain on PROFEX. (*)
• Step 5: Submit your application online.
• Step 6: Print both the application form generated by PROFEX and the checklist, sign and date them. Mail both documents to the Embassy of Spain’s Education Office in Sofia, program “Language Assistants”.
• Step 7: if your application is in good standing you will be called for a personal interview to assess your competence level in English.
• Step 8: Await the result from the selection process: confirmation email from PROFEX.
• Step 9: Accept the offer of your regional placement within three days: confirmation email from regional education authorities and/or PROFEX.
• Step 10: Await the acceptance letter from the Spanish Autonomous Region (beginning of summer).
• Step 11: Apply for an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) from your local Social Security Agency. Please note that you need to be up-to-date with your Bulgarian Social Security duties.
(*) Not all regions are available. Andalucía, Aragón, Asturias, Castilla y León, Extremadura, Islas Baleares and La Rioja cannot accept candidates from non-English speaking countries.
1.5. Required documentation
1.5.1. Hard copies (To be mailed, see address below)
1. The PDF form printout, signed and dated, available after submitting your application and uploading your documents online. (Check PROFEX MANUAL on our webpage).
2. Checklist signed and dated.
1.5.2 Documents to be uploaded in the corresponding sections on PROFEX
• A copy of your Bulgarian official ID or passport.
• An official college transcript or a copy of your degree certificate(s) or diploma(s).
• A cover letter or statement of purpose for participation in the program, 250-300 words long, in English, addressed to the Education Advisor at the Embassy of Spain. The letter must be signed and dated.
• A letter of recommendation in Bulgarian or English, up to 250 words, written and signed by any current or former professor. If you have been out of school for over three years, you can receive this letter from your supervisor at work. Letterhead, author’s contact information and hand-signature are required in the letter. We may contact the author of the letter and ask them to elaborate on its content.
If your application succeeds we will ask you to upload:
• A medical certificate signed by your doctor. This needs to be on the doctor’s letterhead, verifying you are free of drug addiction, mental illness or any disease that could cause serious repercussions to public health.
• A clear police record.
Mail and contact details:
María José Belloso, Education Advisor
Embassy of Spain
ul. Sheynovo, 25
Ph.: 02 943 4907
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com