“PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION IN A GLOBAL CRISIS: BETWEEN LIBERALISM AND STATISM”
27-28 October 2022
The sixth international conference organized by the Department of Public Administration at Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski will be held on October 27-28, 2022. The format of the event is hybrid: face-to-face and online.
The choice of this topic was prompted by the unprecedented challenges of our times, which require changes in public administration so as to successfully overcome the consequences of the crises of the present. We expect that the topic will provoke discussion on a wide range of issues from the theory and practice of public administration with a view to the future of the state and public policy networks. As we know, challenging times call for unconventional responses. Will the reassessment of the shape of public administration so far cause even bigger problems in the near future?
The topic covers some fundamental questions from the theory and practice of public administration:
- Politics versus policies - what is happening to public administration and what will be the outcomes given the numerous challenges of the present? What is happening with Public Administration education per se and how does it contribute to solving problems in the public governance?
- Do visionary strategy or decisions ad hoc dominate the management of the public environment? What is the dynamics of public policies and interactions of all stakeholders in the public order in near future in Bulgaria, the EU and beyond?
- What is happening to the management of public finances and its significance for the current state and the future? Crisis, market and state – what would be the new points of tension between the economy and public authority?
- What are the implications for public management of the dynamics of the technological world? What will be the place of security issues, but also of education and culture in the conditions of such dynamic changes and uncertainty?
- What are the challenges and prospects for development facing local and regional governance: how to combine efficiency with democracy, what are the needs and possibilities in the provision of public services? What are the possibilities for horizontal integration?
- What are the projections of these and many other questions on public power in the disposition of hierarchy and networks of public policy.
The expectations to the results of the conference are both for the theory and the diverse practice of management in the public sphere, its sustainability and potential for change, expected leadership and participation within sustainable strategies for development and social integrity.
The invitation is open to academics and researchers from various scientific fields related to the identity of public administration as an interdisciplinary field. It is aimed at experts in both the public and private spheres, whose activities meet the problems of public governance in the face of the crisis and prospects for development.
The papers of participants will be published in a separate scientific collection. They will be accepted for publication by peer review.
The working languages of the conference are Bulgarian and English.
Information about the conference is available at: …
No participation fee is required.
The conference will be held on October 27 and 28, 2022
Place: Conference Hall, Rectorate, Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski, 15 Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd., Sofia
Applications are accepted until October 15, 2022