Duration of instruction: 3 semesters
Form of instruction: Part-time
Director: Assoc.Prof. Ludmilla Andreeva, PhD
Phone: (+359) 2 9308 476
Annual tuition fee 1640,00 lv.
Date of interview: 11.09.2013, 14.00h. 115 Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd. floor 3, room 60
The MA in General Psychology is designed for students who wish to sample from a variety of areas of psychology. The master's program in General Psychology is an appropriate program for students with many different non-psychological backgrounds and is designed for individuals who either:
• Hope to find career opportunities in areas related to psychology or want to broaden understanding of the field of psychology. A master's degree in psychology, with experience in understanding and conducting psychological research, is valued in many different employment settings such as human relations, marketing, advertising, management, arbitration, lobbying, education, and business.
• Intend to seek a doctoral degree in psychology and who do not have adequate undergraduate training and/or research experience. As part of the program, these students will gain psychological knowledge that fills the gaps in their basic training.
The core curriculum of the General Psychology M.A. program is designed to provide the entry-level graduate student with a solid grounding in the basic science foundations of psychology. Upon successfully completing the core curriculum, the M.A. candidate in General Psychology fulfills the remaining degree requirements by taking a minimum of four courses across a spectrum of substantive areas in general psychology, including gender roles, developmental psychology, cross-cultural psychology, communication skills, personality disorders and human services. Thus, although the M.A. program is a stand-alone program, it is nonetheless designed to provide a bridge into further educational and career development. It should be emphasized that the MA Program in General Psychology at Sofia University is a terminal degree. This MA program is not designed to meet the requirements for the counseling professions.
The graduates of the MA in General Psychology:
• will have in-depth knowledge of current theoretical and methodological approaches and developments in the field of psychology;
• will be able to think critically and methodologically sound about key issues in psychology;
• will be able to conduct research in areas related to psychology;
• will be equipped with the theoretical and practical knowledge that is relevant to positions in education, business or research.
To qualify for the MA program in General Psychology, applicants should:
• Have received a Bachelor degree with good results from a recognized university. The Examination Board of the MA program in General Psychology will judge the prior education.
• Have a proof of proficiency in written and spoken English. This proof must be presented by submitting the results from either a TOEFL test (www.toefl.org), IELTS test (www.ielts.org), CPE (http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/cpe/index.html), or a comparable certificate.
• Provide curriculum vitae.
• Have a personal statement of motivation (max. 1 page). It will be assessed for the applicant’s writing skills and their ability to make a presentation in writing, attention to detail, avoidance of grammar mistakes, spelling errors and typos, the depth of their interest, the aspects of personality they are willing to reveal in it.
• Appear in an interview. The presentation of the applicant will be assessed as meeting or not meeting the requirements.
Applicants who successfully pass the interview will be ranked based on the GPA of their Bachelor studies